Strava riders have recently been talking about magpie strikes on them and the opening of the attack season this spring. Many riders were looking for strategies to avoid them and Cyril recently commented that we should just see them as another training partner. Maybe doing interval training as you come into the nesting zones where they hang out is a good idea.
Some riders who have been riding in the GreenWEDGE for decades tell me that magpies have been the same locations for years. Learned behaviour no doubt. By the way that cable tie thing doesn’t work, research done in a SA university a few years proved it was a waste of time. Check this out
This is where I’ve been attacked by those in the black and white jerseys in past seasons.
- St Andrews KG road near the Dawsons and Water Gully intersection.
- The roundabout on Fitzsimmons Lane / Warrandyte Heidelberg Road heading towards Warrandyte.
- About 8 KM out of Kinglake heading towards Humevale.
- The lookout on Bells Hill Rd, which goes past Eltham College
- Wattletree Rd as you go up the hill towards Ryans rd.
Lets build the list.