Alex McCallum GreenWedge Cycling TT
The GreenWEDGE Cycling TT was first held in 2011 on the Warrandyte Festival and shifted to the week before or after the Festival in 2014. https://www.strava.com/segments/17219159
The TT is a not-so-serious 40km ride against the clock through the Warrandyte Hills. It is a test against yourself, your ability to navigate the course and to climb and descend. The winner takes the coveted Golden Croissant and loads of Kudos. Categories are best time for Men and for Women, Under 24 for Men and for Women, KOM and QOM on Pigeon Bank segment.
This year the TT is the same – but forever different, no longer will it be with Le Patron, Alex McCallum, founder of GreenWedge Cycling, and friend to all. Alex passed away far too soon on 24 May 2017. We will forever remember Alex as we push ourselves over his beloved GreenWedge hills.
As was the case last year the timing is by Strava segment, so to get a time you will need to record and upload your ride. To get an official result you will need to do this by 3pm.
The start location is the bus stop just over the Warrandyte Bridge and the ride heads up the Kangaroo Ground Road to St Andrews via Panton Hill and returns via Hurstbridge and Wattle Glen back to Warrandyte via Kangaroo Ground. The ride finishes at the small cark before the bridge on the left about 350m back up the hill “Warrandyte State Park 100 steps” See Strava Route map for the cue sheet.
- The TT will usually be the last weekend of March after the Warrandyte Festival.
- The Strava segment can be found here https://www.strava.com/segments/17219159
- You must start and complete the course on the designated day.
- Riders will be sent off between 8:30-9:00.
- Upload your result to Strava anytime before 3:00PM
- The winner is the rider with the best time according to Strava.
- Riders are expected to be self-sufficient and have the spare tubes and tools, pump, water and a mobile phone. The organisers do not have the capacity to recover damaged/faulty bikes. There is no support vehicle nor a SAG wagon.
- Note that we will be riding on open roads and that all normal road rules apply. This is not a race. Ride safe and enjoy. Anyone seen to break the road rules will be Disqualified.
Neutral: across the bridge
Timing starts at the bus stop on KG road after the lights
End of Kangaroo Ground-Warrandyte Road at the Roundabout, turn right (3rd exit)
Head straight to Panton Hill
St Andrews: At the T-intersection turn left.
Hurstbridge: beware of traffic in the town, caution through the roundabouts
Wattle Glen: turn left at the roundabout (1st exit) and head to Kangaroo Ground
Kangaroo Ground: Turn Right with caution at the T-intersection Wattle Glen Rd – St Andrews Rd
Kangaroo Ground: Turn Left at roundabout (1st exit)
Warrandyte: Segment finishes approximately 350m from the bridge at the small car park for the Warrandyte State Park 100 steps, where the bus stop sign is.
NEUTRAL: to the lights and across the bridge to the Lions club BBQ for post ride debrief
Riders meet back at the Lions Park BBQ on Yarra Street near the Warrandyte Bridge. From 10:00am for Egg and Bacon roll. Coffee, sausage rolls and cakes are available at the nearby Warrandyte Bakery and cafes.